Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sweatshop: Dead Cheap Fashion

Long time no post.  I vowed to never post anything that leaves me clicking 'Publish' halfheartedly, which explains my absence. 

But I'm back with a post that has sent a fire within me.
Yesterday, Ashton Kutcher shared a link on his website that has sent traffic through the roof for a recent documentary presented by Norwegian newspaper company Aftenposten. 

The documentary is called Sweatshop. 
It entails three teenagers who travel to Cambodia to explore and share the lives of sweatshop workers. The textile factory that allowed their entry is one of the best in Cambodia, and yet conditions are still harsh. Long working days, dealing with heat and humidity with nothing but a fan in the corner. One worker for the company said some days a soldier will watch over them, and if they began to slow down they would be beaten, sometimes until they were unconscious.

The episodes are named by powerful statements said by the three young travelers, that really strike a nerve in demonstrating the struggle these workers face. I urge you to watch this documentary and share it with your friends and your family. Please let the message of this documentary resonate with you. Let's take a stand for the people who are unfortunately in these positions. 

"They really don't ask for much. We have to start somewhere." - Anniken
"The truth is we are rich, because they are poor." - Ludvig

You can watch the full documentary with English subtitles here.

2 comments:

  1. The minute I clicked on the link, I couldn't stop watching it. I am so incredibly ashamed myself and everyone else living in a first world country to complain about such petty things like not having the newest handbag or phone. It is so shameful to think that this generation is so materialistic and that they don't understand what's happening halfway across the world. Thank you for sharing this incredible documentary, and I already shared it with four of my friends who I hope can take away from it.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! Thank you SO much for watching and for sharing. Ah! I guess the thing we can do now is spread awareness for the cause & try to push for solutions where everybody wins. Thank you again!

      Delete

- See more at: http://www.exeideas.com/2013/08/increase-image-thumbnail-size-from-72px.html#sthash.dQsASIu1.dpuf