Monday, June 04, 2018

Marrakech, Morocco & Following Your Own Path


I recently witnessed a long-lived dream of mine come to life. Visiting Marrakech, Morocco. 

I had wanted to visit this city after watching a video on Youtube about it years ago. From having never heard of it, to putting it at the top of my list in a matter of 20 minutes. We booked our trip for five days as I read there was so much to do and see in the city and we needed every minute. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I loved Marrakech however it wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. Every video I watched, blog I read and travel guide I researched would talk about the endless shopping mazes of the Souks, the vibrant and energetic hours spent at Jemaa El-Fna and essential but never-ending list of museums and palaces we needed to visit. 

When we got to Marrakech, I realised that a lot of the top 5 things to do were not aligned with what I found to be top five. And then I realised that I am not the kind of person who follows the crowd.. in fact, if there is a crowd I tend to walk the other way. So why did I insist on creating an itinerary completely following the norm? I realised I am happiest when I do things in my own way, and when I do it with love and not for the acceptance of others, for the likes or for the need to fit in. I also remembered on this trip how happy I feel when I don't really give a damn what anybody thinks of me. I find myself constantly teetering between a place where I feel like an absolute badass and I don't hear any opinions of me - good or bad. This is when I am feel free and infinite. But then I find myself falling back into a place where I DO care, but don't realise I care and this is when I am the most stressed and cautious with every step I take, even if it's a step I want to take. 

I guess I need to find a way to stay permanently in the state of a badass - and I can feel this coming to fruition as I continue on my solo trip around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

- See more at: http://www.exeideas.com/2013/08/increase-image-thumbnail-size-from-72px.html#sthash.dQsASIu1.dpuf